[cisco-voip] Deploying RSVP in a CM 4.1.3 environment to supplement locations-based CAC

Robert Kulagowski rkulagow at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 13:20:00 EDT 2007

Paul Choi wrote:
> One quick note Robert, Cisco routers acting as H.323
> gateways don't even register to CCM. That doesn't mean
> they're not working properly. In fact, after adding an
> H.323 gateway to CCM 4.1(3), the status will remain
> Unknown or something to that effect.

Yep, I know that.

I'm just wondering why I have to setup an entirely separate
infrastructure of H.323 Gatekeepers and configure "zones" and all that
jazz for the Polycom video units to register to.  The Polycom's employ
H.323 gatekeeper discovery, so why can't the Call Manager's answer,
perform IP <-> E.164 mapping, determine if the Polycom can use IP to
connect to another Polycom over the LAN/WAN, etc, etc?  Seems like 99%
of that functionality is already _in_ CallManager.