[cisco-voip] Problem bringing up L2

Caines, Max Max.Caines at wlv.ac.uk
Thu Oct 11 09:09:17 EDT 2007

Hi

I don't normally deal with VoIP, so my apologies if I make simple errors. We
have a 3725 router with a VWIC handling calls for one of our sites, talking
to CallManager 4.1. It stopped working the other day, and after getting in
the telco, who couldn't find anything wrong, and our Cisco support firm
(ditto) the latter sent me a couple of URLs, one of which was to an article
on this list. It pointed me to  temporary fix, but not a permanent one.

The problem is that when the router boots or the circuit is brought up, the
L2 link from the router to the telco switch won't come up. Below is the
output from "show isdn status":

Global ISDN Switchtype = primary-net5

%Q.931 is backhauled to CCM MANAGER 0x0003 on DSL 0. Layer 3 output may not
apply

ISDN Serial0/0:15 interface
        dsl 0, interface ISDN Switchtype = primary-net5
        L2 Protocol = Q.921 0x0000  L3 Protocol(s) = CCM MANAGER 0x0003
    Layer 1 Status:
        ACTIVE
    Layer 2 Status:
        TEI = 0, Ces = 1, SAPI = 0, State = TEI_ASSIGNED
    Layer 3 Status:
        0 Active Layer 3 Call(s)
    Active dsl 0 CCBs = 0
    The Free Channel Mask:  0xFFFF7FFF
    Number of L2 Discards = 0, L2 Session ID = 1
    Total Allocated ISDN CCBs = 0

What I found was that I could bring the link up by doing:

conf t
int ser 0/0:15
no isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager
shut
no shut
isdn bind-l3 ccm-manager

After that the status is:

Global ISDN Switchtype = primary-net5
ISDN Serial0/0:15 interface
        dsl 0, interface ISDN Switchtype = primary-net5
    Layer 1 Status:
        ACTIVE
    Layer 2 Status:
        TEI = 0, Ces = 1, SAPI = 0, State = MULTIPLE_FRAME_ESTABLISHED
    Layer 3 Status:
        0 Active Layer 3 Call(s)
    Active dsl 0 CCBs = 0
    The Free Channel Mask:  0xFFFF7FFF
    Number of L2 Discards = 0, L2 Session ID = 2
    Total Allocated ISDN CCBs = 0

However, if I reboot the router it goes back to the previous state. This
clearly isn't a good situation. I've upgraded the router to 12.3(14)T7, the
latest in its train, but this makes no difference. Is this a Cisco bug, or
is there something else I should try? The config is attached, if it helps

Thanks

Max Caines
IT Services, University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton, West Midlands WV1 1SB
Tel: 01902 322245 Fax: 01902 322777