[cisco-voip] Home user

Michael Thompson mthompson729 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 20:44:13 EDT 2007

the big reason I'm more of a fan of taking the 871 route is that you have
flexibility of creating a DMZ (using F0/3 I think) for the other home users
on the network (kids at home playing games, etc) and it creates a seperate
segment for SoHo users.

what's sexy about it is that you can be working from home, on your company
laptop for security reasons of course, on a site to site VPN
essentially.  you can control what traffic from that VLANs / Subnets is
allowed across so that only specific application traffic is allowed (Citrix,
EMail, IP Voice, IPCC CAD, etc).  The best part is that since you assign LLQ
to the tunnel interface, you have the full capabilities of the MQC at your
disposal no matter how QoS nutty you get with your DSCP markings (priority
markings, policing, variable drop precedence, etc)...it's all there.  AND
the capper, and ABSOLUTELY critical when talking about using this from home,
you have absolute control over how the bandwidth is used to the internet.
i.e junior downloading music and playing World of Warcraft isn't crippling
your IPCC / Voice traffic.

essentially you create a VPN on the 871 that terminates on the outside
interface of the router.  Then you have GRE terminate on a loopback inside
the router.  You then apply policing on the GRE tunnel equivalent to the
approximate upstream bandwidth of your broadband.  the exceed parameter
calls the MQC / LLQ configuration (it's not invoked unless you start to
approach bandwidth contention).  the 871 is a beefy little box.  we have
customers running this exact config with up to around 5 PCs in the house
(personal and work).  all of the personal computers are on the DMZ and only
the work devices go on the inside interfaces.

all of that being said, you're still at the mercy of the idiot out at the
distribution box pulling your DSL wires because he doesn't get dial tone on
them and he needs copper for the neighbors new phone...but you can't totally
defend against the morons of the world.