[cisco-voip] Disaster Recovery Procedure CUCM 5.1(2)

Patrick Diener patrick.diener at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 08:27:36 EDT 2007

I'm trying to put together a rough step by step procedure to do a
disaster recovery for a cucm 5.1(2) cluster and there are some stuff I
can't figure out how it should/will work...

I based the steps on the DRS Admin Guide for Version 5.0 (5.1 not out yet?!?)

Important: I try to do a restore on a new server hw => new first node MAC

Step 1:
perform fresh install of cucm sw
!! set same hostname as before !!

Step 2:
perform restore using DRS and restart server (worked like a charm in the lab...)

form now on I'm stuck...

Step 3:
Licensing?!?
all activated services will not start cause the .lic files are not
valid for the new server hw (at least thats what happened in the
lab..)
=> will TAC send me a new .lic equal to the old one?
=> do I need to contact licensing at cisco.com?
=> any experience how long it will take to get the new .lic files?

Step 4:
move some phones to the restored publisher (assuming callmanager
service is running) and test all features needed
=> will the phones register if security has been configured? I assume
the new callmanager, tftp and capf certificates will not match the
certificates stored in the phones ctl file (right?) how do I get out
of this mess without touching each and every phone to delete the ctl
file or perform a factory reset?

Step 5:
restore sub (or subs)

all comments, experiences and remarks are appreciated!

cheers
Patrick