[cisco-voip] Disaster Recovery Procedure CUCM 5.1(2)

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Fri Oct 19 13:03:14 EDT 2007

Hi Patrick,

Good stuff.  Most of this is finally covered in CM513 docs:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/prod_installation_guide09186a00808be1dc.html

Patrick Diener wrote:
> I'm trying to put together a rough step by step procedure to do a
> disaster recovery for a cucm 5.1(2) cluster and there are some stuff I
> can't figure out how it should/will work...
>
> I based the steps on the DRS Admin Guide for Version 5.0 (5.1 not out yet?!?)
>
> Important: I try to do a restore on a new server hw => new first node MAC
>
> Step 1:
> perform fresh install of cucm sw
> !! set same hostname as before !!

ws: same hostname, ip, and passwords
> Step 2:
> perform restore using DRS and restart server (worked like a charm in the lab...)
>
> form now on I'm stuck...

ws: you restored the pub only, correct? and rebooted?  after you
reinstall sub will need to DRS restore it as well.
> Step 3:
> Licensing?!?
> all activated services will not start cause the .lic files are not
> valid for the new server hw (at least thats what happened in the
> lab..)
> => will TAC send me a new .lic equal to the old one?
> => do I need to contact licensing at cisco.com?
> => any experience how long it will take to get the new .lic files?

ws: yep, new license files if replacing the pub. covered in the doc,
licensing at cisco.com
> Step 4:
> move some phones to the restored publisher (assuming callmanager
> service is running) and test all features needed
> => will the phones register if security has been configured? I assume
> the new callmanager, tftp and capf certificates will not match the
> certificates stored in the phones ctl file (right?) how do I get out
> of this mess without touching each and every phone to delete the ctl
> file or perform a factory reset?

ws: this comes later actually. check the doc, you will create new CTL
files using same USB token.
> Step 5:
> restore sub (or subs)

step5: reinstall subs, then restore subs, then perform post-replace
checklist.