[cisco-voip] OT -- Wireless to remote sites?

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Oct 25 16:04:46 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-25 at 12:33 -0700, Scott Voll wrote:
> is anyone using some kind of Wireless solution to a remote IP
> Telephony site?
>
> I have a site that will be $1 million to build fiber to so I'm looking
> for options.  I'm thinking something with a licensed band or
> microwave.  anyone have experience with something like this?  if so,
> what are you using?  uptime? fog or rain issues? latency? packet loss?

We rent a small amount of space in a building across the road from my
main campus.  We use Cisco 1310 wireless bridges to link the main campus
to the remote building.  The span is around 2000ft.  We had some initial
issues with the link that were resolved by replacing a bad power supply
on one of the wireless bridges.  Other than that the connection has been
pretty solid.  It's just "temporary" though - the people in that office
will be moving into a new building on campus due to open in 18 months or
so.  So you may want to look into using the unlicensed 802.11 bands.
With the appropriate antennas and a good line of sight it should work
pretty well.  I'd probably look seriously at a MPLS VPN too.

Jeff