[cisco-voip] [OSL | CCIE_Voice] SIlly QoS Question

Peter Smale psmale at fuse.net
Sun Apr 6 12:04:53 EDT 2008

I think there are only 3 drop thresholds on 3550 very primitive RED
C1 is better than CS2 which is better than CS3 etc.   But within a class as
for as RED or WRED the opposite is true.
AD31 is dropped before AF32  etc.   Traffic in CS3 should not be eligible
for drop at all.
Been a long time since I have taught QoS but that's how I remember it.

I made the argument sometime ago that control traffic SKINNY RS323 SIP etc.
is so negligible that it could just be classified with the RTP stream itself
CS2.

But I guess that would make things too easy.

By the way if you are dropping packets on a 100 or even 10 meg link in a
short Range campus i.e. 10 millisecond range something has gone very wrong.
Broadcast storm, virus etc.  in any event you've got a problem to fix.
Peter.  :-)