[cisco-voip] RTP and Bluecoat

Mladen Milanovic mmilanovic at ctiusa.com
Wed Apr 9 17:42:24 EDT 2008

I have customer that is running a Riverbed between all IPT sites. We
officially recommend that all Riverbed devices have to stay out of the
path for voice traffic. I had couple of conference calls with riverbed
support and learn that Riverbed will be transparent for UDP traffic, but
it will try to optimize TCP (signaling) traffic.

Customer configure Riverbed to be "transparent" for signaling but on
some sites we have latency in the call establishment. Other sites works
fine. This is reported as a intermittent problem, but I am blaming
misconfiguration on the Riverbed side. Recently we had a major outage
because of faulty NIC in the riverbed.

>From the QoS perspective because we didn't know what riverbed is doing,
we place Access lists for traffic selection on the MPLS edge routers and
deploy LLQ on the serial interface. Using this method we keep consistent
QoS configuration for the voice, and leave data to be handled by
riverbed.

Long story short, if I can avoid anything on the voice path and rely to
the Cisco I would prefer this. After this project, I would recommend to
all may customers to avoid this as much as possible. This is very
difficult to troubleshoot.

Mladen