[cisco-voip] Unity subscriber not recieving messages

Terry Glass hispacific at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 00:30:27 EDT 2008

Have seen this occur on subscribers in almost every version on Unity with
Exchange 2000/2003. Either of the 2 procedures below have always worked for
me. I prefer the second procedure but it does require deleting the mailbox
for the user and when Unity is set-up in Unified Messaging, that may not be
possible, or even if in Voicemail only, the user may have VM's that they
can't lose. I have tried to ensure the accuracy of the steps but can not be
responsible. Always do a DiRT backup before proceeding

PROCEDURE 1
1. Using Exchange System Manager, perform the following:
a. Locate the mailbox store that contains the subscribers mailbox.
b. Click the Mailboxes object under the mailbox store.
c. Check to see if there are multiple mailboxes for the subscriber. All but
one will be marked as disconnected (the mailbox icon appears with a red X)
d. If there are multiple mailboxes listed for the subscriber, check the
column showing Last Accessed By and see if one of the disconnected mailboxes
shows the Unity Message Store Account (whatever name is was called when
Unity was installed) as the account that last tried to access the mailbox.
If so, that is the mailbox that Unity is trying to use. skip to Step 2
e. If there are multiple mailboxes but none show Unity as last trying to
access the mailbox, perform Step 3a through 3d but only purge the mailboxes
that are marked as disconnected (the mailbox icon appears with a red X).
Then reboot the Exchange server then, after it is fully back online, reboot
the Unity server and test. If you still can not leave VM for the user, skip
to Step 4.
f. If there is only one mailbox listed for the user and both the Exchange
and Unity servers have been rebooted (first the Exchange server then, after
it is fully back online, the Unity server) and VM still will not work for
that user, skip to Step 4.

2. In Active Directory User & Computers, remove the mailbox from the user as
follows, you can back up his emails to a pst file before doing this if
needed when Unity is configured for Unified Messaging:
a. Right-click the user in Active Directory Users and Computers.
b. Click Exchange Tasks.
c. Click Next on the Welcome page of the Exchange Task Wizard.
d. Click Delete Mailbox.
e. Click Next, click Next, and then click Finish.
f. Continue to Step 3

3. Using Exchange System Manager, perform the following:
a. Locate the mailbox store that contains the disconnected mailbox.
b. Click the Mailboxes object under the mailbox store.
c. If the all the mailboxes for the user are not already marked as
disconnected (the mailbox icon appears with a red X), right-click the
Mailbox or Mailboxes object for this user, and then click Cleanup Agent.
d. One by one, right-click the disconnected mailboxes that do not show the
Unity Message Store Account for Last Access by, and click PURGE. NOTE: This
permanently deletes that mailbox for the user.
e. For the disconnected mailboxes that show Unity as the account last
attempting to access the mailbox, right-click on the mailbox and select
RECONNECT. Browse out to the user and select it. This will reconnect
(reassociate) that mailbox to that user in Active Directory.
f. Wait 15 minutes, then reboot the Unity server.
g. Test and see if a VM can be left for the user. If not, continue to Step
4.

NOTE: STEP 4 WILL HAVE YOU DIRECTLY CHECK AND POSSIBLY MODIFY THE UNITY
DATABASE DIRECTLY. IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH SQL, STOP!!!, AND PERFORM
THE STEPS UNDER PROCEDURE 2. I RECOMMEND THAT YOU GO TO PROCEDURE 2 WHICH IS
SAFER.

4. On the Unity server, if SQL Enterprise Manager is installed, perform the
following. If SQL Enterprise Manager is not installed, STOP and perform the
steps for Procedure 2. Otherwise you will have to use OSQL from a command
prompt to access and possibly update the SQL table and I do not list those
steps.

a. On the Cisco Unity server, choose Start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server
> Enterprise Manager to open the SQL Server Enterprise Manager.
b. Choose Microsoft SQL Servers > SQL Server Group > {local server} >
Databases > UnityDb in the left pane of the Console Root window.
c. Click Tables to display all the tables in the right pane of the Tables
window.
d. Right-click on Subscriber in the right pane of the Tables window and
choose Open Table > Return all Rows.
e.  The Subscriber table opens and is now ready to edit. Find the row with
the alias for the affected subscriber, and review the column SmtpAddress. If
this value is shown as <NULL> or if it is blank, populate it with the same
SMTP address for this subscriber as shown under Active Directory Users and
Computers. Click the Run (!) button.
f. Type and run <drive where Cisco Unity is
installed>:\commserver\configurationsetup\setup.exe /sync from the Command
Prompt. For example, C:\commserver\configurationsetup\setup.exe /sync if
Unity in installed in the C: drive.
Note: This synchronizes all Cisco Unity objects with the directory. This
might take quite a while and cause a performance hit on the Cisco Unity
server.
g. Reboot the Exchange server, then the Unity server, if in Unified
Messaging. Otherwise, reboot the Unity server
h. Test and see if VM can be left. If not, perform the steps in PROCEDURE 2.

***************************************

PROCEDURE 2 (FAVORITE)

Perform the following in the evening, a few hours before midnight local
time:

1. After writing down how the subscriber is configured in Unity, Delete the
subscriber in Unity.

2. In Active Directory User & Computers, remove the mailbox from the user as
follows, you can back up his emails to a pst file before doing  this if
needed:
a. Right-click the user in Active Directory Users and Computers.
b. Click Exchange Tasks.
c. Click Next on the Welcome page of the Exchange Task Wizard.
d. Click Delete Mailbox.
e. Click Next, click Next, and then click Finish.

3. Using Exchange System Manager, perform the following:
a. Locate the mailbox store that contains the disconnected mailbox.
b. Click the Mailboxes object under the mailbox store.
c. If the mailbox is not already marked as disconnected (the mailbox icon
appears with a red X), right-click the Mailbox or Mailboxes object for this
user, and then click Cleanup Agent.
d. Right-click the disconnected mailbox, click Purge. NOTE: This permanently
deletes the mailbox for the user.
e. Click OK.

4. WAIT UNTIL NEXT MORNING BEFORE CONTINUING. The reason is that both
Exchange and SQL run maintenance jobs, by default, around midnight. When you
remove the subscriber from Unity, it should remove all entries from SQL but
sometimes it seems as if some data is still there but hidden. Same for
Exchange. You purged the mailbox which immediately deletes it BUT......

5. In the morning, create a new mailbox for the user, using Active Directory
User & Computers.

6. WAIT 15 minutes and then Import the user into Unity.

7. Reconfigure the subscriber in Unity.

8. Test and see if the VM is now working.

9. Have the user import the pst file if one was created.

Terry Glass