[cisco-voip] Nbar missing some RTP traffic

Patrick Shoemaker shoemakerp at vectordatasystems.com
Thu Apr 17 15:03:58 EDT 2008

Thanks for the responses, everybody.

No, I am not directly connected to the SIP provider, and the provider
suggests that compiling a list of all the audio path origination points
would be tedious/impossible. They are not all funneled through a single
gateway- they come from all over the Internet, according to the
provider. Customers connect into my network through a last mile wireless
system that is completely under my control, so maintaining the markings
on outbound traffic is no problem.

I have also tried "match protocol rtp" to see if the payload type was
the issue, even though it shouldn't be since everything is g.711 or
g.729 with no dynamic payload types. I get the same problem- most
traffic is identified but some streams are missed.

I would like to avoid marking based on a static UDP port range. As this
is an ISP network, you never know what kind of random applications will
be traversing it. I don't want some rouge filesharing app using a port
range that gets placed into a high priority queue.

It looks like the only reliable option at this point is maintaining
giant ACLs on each border router with the IP addresses of all the
registered ATAs on my network, then marking all the UDP traffic destined
to them. This is going to turn into a management nightmare after a
while, but is there another solution?

One idea I had was to use reflexive ACLs to identify outgoing streams
tagged with the EF bit, then apply the same treatment to the
corresponding incoming stream. However, it is not necessarily true that
the outgoing voice traffic is traversing the same router as the incoming
traffic.

Patrick Shoemaker
President, Vector Data Systems LLC
shoemakerp at vectordatasystems.com