[cisco-voip] Voice translation rule help

Jorge L. Rodriguez Aguila jorge.rodriguez at netxar.com
Tue Apr 22 10:21:38 EDT 2008

I am attaching a very good url @ Cisco that can help you understand translation rules
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a0080325e8e.shtml

But to answer your question Basically if we take your rule statement and break it down you can look at it this way.

rule 1 /^\(555\)+\(.*\)/ /444\2/
   The Caret Symbol (^) indicates that the match the first match must start at the beginning of the number. Within this statement there are two sets of numbers that are within Parenthesis (555\) and (.*\). The Parenthesis give this a "number or position within your rule so from now on for the purpouse of this rule Position number 1 is (555\) and position number 2 is (.*\) meaning whatever number comes after the first 3 fives so in 555-1234 it would be (555) and (1234). What this the means to your translation rule is 555-1234 wil then be converted into 444+(2) or 444-1234.

Hope this helps you understand.

Jorge Rodríguez Aguila
CCNA,CCVP,CRMCS,CIPCES
Senior Voice/Data Network Consultant