[cisco-voip] Opinions and thoughts on running a Juniper core VLAN router/switch with a Cisco AVVID install on top of it?

Tim Reimers treimers at ashevillenc.gov
Tue Apr 29 10:50:14 EDT 2008

hi everyone-

The organization I work for is considering purchasing a new "core"
router for our network.
Currently we run all Cisco equipment and have a Cisco 4.1X AVVID install
- two CCM, one IPCC  (non-Unity VM though)

The management wants to consider running a non-Cisco core VLAN router
(perhaps a Juniper), to be the VTP server for the rest of the Cisco
3560/3750 switches in the network
as it could be considerably cheaper than a Cat6500.

(My apologies in advance to the Cisco guys on here for discussing
non-Cisco switching/routing/VTP hardware)

But I would also value your thoughts as to how the TAC might approach
support calls on the CCM/IPCC equipment in the presence of a non-Cisco
foundation.

What do you guys hear/know about the idea of running a non-Cisco VTP
server talking to Cisco switches at the distribution later?

Considering that there's an AVVID installation running on top of it, I
figured I'd post that to here.

Thanks,
Tim