[cisco-voip] Questions on NTP Sync

Micah Bennett mbennett at als-xtn.com
Tue Apr 29 15:31:28 EDT 2008

Hello All

Trying to refresh myself on the setup of the time sync on all of our
servers.  I found a few docs online and also some info in my cisco_press
books.  I just wanted to run some things past those of you that have
more experience than I do. Thanks in advance for your help.

Our network has two time servers.  For the example, they will be 1.1.1.1
and 2.2.2.2.

We have the following Cisco Servers in our cluster

Unity Voicemail
Call Manager Publisher
Call Manager Subscriber 1
Call Manager Subscriber 2
IPCC Server 1
IPCC Server 2

Unity Voicemail - I do know its not running the NTP service because its
part of our domain.  I have not figured out how to tell what it is
syncing to.  According to the docs it should be linked to our domain
controller.  If anyone can direct me on how to verify this that would be
great.

All the rest of the servers are running the NTP service which references
the ntp.conf file for the servers it needs to sync to.  They are set up
as follows:

Call Manager Publisher
ntp.conf points to NTP server 1.1.1.1 first and NTP server 2.2.2.2
second
It also has a third reference of server 127.127.1.1.  I know from the
books that this is part of the example.  Should it remain in the file as
a third optional time choice?
There is also a line "fudge 127.127.1.1 stratum 5"  Not sure what this
does or if it's needed.
The final line in the file references the driftfile and contains the
path to it (ntp.drift).  What is this?  When I look at it only contains
a number entry.
Is there any command I can run to tell what time server of the two
options is being used?

Call Manager Subscriber 1
Ntp.conf points to the Call Manager Publisher.
Can this point straight to the clock instead of the Publisher?  Is there
a reason for the recommendation to point it to the Publisher?
File also contains the driftfile path.

Call Manager Subscriber 2
Ntp.conf points to the Call Manager Publisher.
Can this point straight to the clock instead of the Publisher?  Is there
a reason for the recommendation to point it to the Publisher?
File also contains the driftfile path.

IPCC Server 1
Ntp.conf points to the Call Manager Publisher as primary and the Call
Manager Subscriber as secondary.
I think the Subscriber reference can be deleted.
Can this point straight to the clock instead of the Publisher?  Is there
a reason for the recommendation to point it to the Publisher?
File also contains the driftfile path.

IPCC Server 2
Ntp.conf points to the Call Manager Publisher as primary and the Call
Manager Subscriber as secondary.
I think the Subscriber reference can be deleted.
Can this point straight to the clock instead of the Publisher?  Is there
a reason for the recommendation to point it to the Publisher?
File also contains the driftfile path.

As for checking them, is there any other way to tell that things are
working besides just manually adjusting the time, restarting the NTP
service and waiting to see if it resyncs to the clocks.

We also are implementing some security on our clocks where a KEY will
need to be presented when a device queries the NTP clock.
Does the ntp.conf file support adding this type of information along
with the IP of the clock?  What is the format?

Micah Bennett
Telecommunications Admin
Automated License Systems

The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be subject to copyright or other intellectual property protection. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to use or disclose this information, and we request that you notify us by reply mail or telephone and delete the original message from your mail system.