[cisco-voip] wlc 4402 and asa 5505

Joe Cisco smetsysocsic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 16:46:59 EDT 2008

Depends heavily on many factors, mostly the design/goals needed accomplished.

Option 1) Much like a cisco phone has the "option 150" dhcp parameter,
there is an "option 43" dhcp parameter for an LWAPP (on most APs this
isn't simply an IP address like it is on the phone, you have to pass a
hex number that has the IP of the controller in it). In the option 43
you specify what the IP is of the parent controller. Keep in mind that
the ASA will have to allow traffic between the two.

Option 2) (My preference) first, trunk the WLC to your switch, then
create a LWAP management VLAN that is passed to the AP - put the WLC
and the APs in this mgmt vlan - if they are local to the same vlan,
they'll find each other. This lwap mgmt vlan is strictly for
communications/mgmt, and doesn't have to be passed out as a wireless
VLAN. Then, in the controller, build your INTERFACE for this outside
VLAN and tie it to the SSID.

Hope this helps.

-Joe C.