[cisco-voip] Microsoft Communication server 2007 vs Unity

William Roy William.Roy at l7.com.au
Thu Aug 21 04:11:57 EDT 2008

We have both Exchange 2007 and OCS running in our office with CUCM 6.1 and CUPS 6.0

The exchange side of things works well and we use it for both UM and also the speech auto attendant. The speech auto attendant has helped reduce the number of internal calls being made to our receptionist to transfer to other people within the organization. Now we can yell at a robot lady and she connects us through.

We don't miss not having MWI, as your VM are delivered to our Outlook mailboxs - we have normally seen the VM before we have even seen our physical phone to see a red lamp. This is especially true if we are not in the office but have mail access.

We have also setup OCS and use the Microsoft Office Communicator client (MOC) for remote call control of Cisco IP phones and for presence status of users. Initially OCS was a bit of a pain to setup as it does require setting AD attributes for users and there is a Microsoft thing called normalization rules which mutates dial plans sort of like translation patterns along with OCS loving a + sign in telephony number fields. However there are some good integration guides about that help sort out all the issues. MOC is great for click to dial both to other users in your organization plus contacts that you have setup in Outlook.

Lucky for me Iwork for an integrator that has a strong Microsoft team who handled all of the Microsoft side of things, so basically all I had to do on the Cisco side was setup SIP trunks and  presence enable users within CUCM  and CUPS.

Regards Wil