[cisco-voip] Example voip call packet loss audio files

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Aug 22 13:13:17 EDT 2008

Hi,

> This is slightly OT, but I am doing a presentation on VoIP within our organisation, and want to try to explain the important of network quality.

I'm sure most QoS 'issues' are invented by the vendors to
sell their newer kit ;-)   seriously, voice is such low data
rate that you've got to have a seriously underprovisioned
core etc to suffer issues on the LAN. now, if you're talking
voice+video and voice over the WAN or to a remote office etc
THEN yes need to deal head-on with QoS.

> I am trying to find somewhere I can download example audio files showing a call with various levels of jitter and packet loss without much luck.  Im hoping to avoid having to produce these audio files myself, so if anyone has some handy that they want to share, or know where I can find some, your help would be greatly appreciated!

I dont have any recordings to hand to show the jitter issues...
I did have some recordings done with eg Cain & Able to show
people why they need to turn on all the security features.
even on a nicely switched network I could still intercept
voip calls - oh, and happily replay them, one caller on the left,
t'other caller on the right channel..perfect to listen to conversation
replay - just like a man in the middle, literally. dont forget
that the softphone and eg S60 client are still unencrypted,
doesnt take much to get the main handsets doing encryption and
the handsets and switches configured to ignore GARP and to do
ARP inspection. if not, well, you've got QoS sorted so the
nasty person would at least have a very good quality recording of
the latest plans, budgets or corporate issues 8-)

a quick google for the usual keywords will give you sites with
recordings on....eg http://www.iwl.com/content/view/71/79/
but dont know about rights, usage etc of such files.

alan