[cisco-voip] Unity and Exchange

Rasim Duric rduric at uoguelph.ca
Tue Aug 26 12:04:36 EDT 2008

My Unity server is a Platform Overlay 4 (MCS7855I) server and as I
remember it could support up to 7,500 offbox vm subscribers with 72 ports.
Our offbox message stores (exchange  2000 servers) are MCS7845H (2 CPU 2.4
GHZ, 4GB, 4x72GB disks) and I have 2 of these (i.e. around 4,000
subscribers on one Unity server and 2 Exchange servers).

 Per Microsoft (Ex2K) specification you could have around 1,500 email
users on one exchange server. Since Voicemail  is not as heavy as an email
system it is safe to assume this kind of server could support around 2,000
vm subscribers.

That is at least how we designed our VM infrastructure a few years ago and
it has been working OK.

Rasim Duric

Network Analyst (CCS)

University of Guelph