[cisco-voip] Maximum number of T1 on 3845

Darren darren at dnsl.com
Wed Aug 27 19:27:37 EDT 2008

One of the clients I work with has 3 * 3845's with 4 * VWIC-E1-2MFT on the
motherboard and 1 * NM-HDV with 1 VWIC-E1-2MFT, can't remember the exact
part number but they are the 2 port E1's VWIC's.  They are running these
with permanent calls through each channel, i.e. 7 hour calls throughout the
day.  They are fully populated with DSP's and the only issues we had were
when they doing g729 across the WAN and the dial-peers were 711 (i.e. not
enough transcoding resources or something, can't exactly remember why),
Eventually the DSP's ran out at around 240 calls split among two of the
3845's.  So approximately 120 calls.  Once we sorted out the 729 issue
everything has been fine.  I haven't had any reports of CPU or Memory
issues, and checked yesterday, with 150 active calls CPU was 14%, memory
wasn't an issue.

I found the DSP calculator to be good at calculating how many E1's you could
have running,

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/DSP/cisco_prodsel.pl

Cheers