[cisco-voip] AT&T (BellSouth) SIP trunks?

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Thu Aug 28 21:07:28 EDT 2008

We at the point where we need to look at either replacing our PRIs or going SIP. Our current service provider told us flat out that SIP is only "cheaper" if you already have data service with them. Otherwise, it's more expensive. There were a few reasons for this, but mainly it was because of the cost of installing the data service for the SIP trunks. Plus, they can only provision so much b/w for voice on the trunk. Plus, they only offer data service in three b/w ranges, 10, 30 and 100. So, if we wanted a SIP trunk with about 25 mbps of traffic, we would have to buy the 100mbps service b/c they can only provision about 50% for voice.

Bottom line....do your numbers. Plus, SIP functionality is not there yet. I might consider H323 but not SIP just yet.

Now, by no means am I a SIP expert...it's just I don't think it's there yet. We have enough trouble telling people that they can't forward their secondary lines, can you imagine when we tell them that we're switching to SIP trunks and get ready to loose some more features?

Oh, apparrently FAX support over SIP is horrendous.

Again, this could all be carrier dependant. But SIP is simply not that big in Canada just yet.

We will likely be working out 6608s to the bone or replacing them with PRI ports in 3845s. We're looking at 3845s anyways for fault tolerance on campus and adding a few PRI ports is not that much more. Plus with the money we'd be saving on maintenance for the stand alone 6500 chasis we are maintaining for the 6608s we'd likely be ahead of the game.

Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (JNHN)
"Bad grammar makes me [sic]" - Tshirt