[cisco-voip] HP Switches

Peter Slow peter.slow at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 10:34:09 EDT 2008

Jason,
   Are you saying that the cost of the phones required to support LLDP
makes it not worth it to do so? I just want to make sure I understand
'cause you may be right. i guess something that might offset that
though is that with twice or three times as many runs to the desk,
you're going to need to back that up with port density which would
result in needing more linecards/bigger chasses, driving your costs
back up.

also,

"Cisco Unified IP Phone Release Notes for Firmware Release 8.3(4)SR1
(SCCP and SIP) 7971G-GE, 7970G, 7961G-GE, 7961G, 7941G-GE, 7941G,
7931G (SCCP only), 7911G, and 7906G

Cisco Catalyst Port Security and LLDP-MED

Cisco Unified IP Phone firmware release 8.3(3) and later, provides
support for the LLDP-MED Link Layer protocol. LLDP is a protocol
similar to CDP and used for device discovery between a LAN switch and
an endpoint. Some Catalyst switches running IOS earlier than
12.2(44)SE, may not support LLDP and indicate that an extra device has
been connected to the switch port. "

-Pete