[cisco-voip] Volume 1 -- Section 6 (Dial Plan) question

Michael Thompson mthompson729 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 22:31:02 EDT 2008

In what I'm reading (CCO Docs) it says something about digit collection, but
they way it's explaining it doesn't really make sense (distinction between
single stage and two stage).

Excerpt ***

With two-stage dialing, when a voice call enters the network, the
originating router collects dialed digits until it can match an outbound
dial peer. As soon as the router matches a dial peer, it immediately places
the call and forwards the associated dial string. No additional dialed
digits are collected. The digits and wildcards that are defined in the
destination pattern determine how many digits the originating router
collects before matching the dial peer. Any digits dialed after the first
dial peer is matched are dropped.

I get that the digits that aren't match are essentially abandoned, I'm just
not sure what is the distinction between 2 stage and single stage.  Isn't
what is mentioned above the 'normal' behavior of a dial peer?