[cisco-voip] Multi Site Environment without dedicated voice bandwidth..

Matthew Loraditch MLoraditch at heliontechnologies.com
Thu Jun 19 22:46:16 EDT 2008

So we have a customer who is buying into a new territory. They want to join them to our current system, but in the loosest sense, they want to be able to do extension dialing. They do not want to buy the needed dedicated bandwidth to do clustering between the sites. All they want to do is VPN tunnels over the internet. It's not the way I want but it's the way they want to pay.
Here is our current thinking, I believe this is possible and makes sense but want to make sure.

Install the new site as a standalone site with it's own CM cluster and Unity Server. The site would have it's own unique extension pattern and then we can setup the routers at both locations to forward calls to the extension patterns on either end across the vpn tunnel. How would this work for Unity? I know about digital networking but will that work if I am essentially having two distinct call manager clusters?

Does this make sense in at least a general fashion? I'm going to be talking to a CCIE about this tomorrow but was hoping for some input from all of you knowledgeable folks with real world experience! :)
Thanks!!

<http://www.heliontechnologies.com/>
Matthew Loraditch
10944 Beaver Dam Road, Suite A