[cisco-voip] SCCP Delay Tolerance CallManager versions 4.2 and 6.x

Peter Slow peter.slow at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 18:17:33 EDT 2008

Tim,
  This does have the potential to affect your user experience. You
need to consider operations where messages require acknowledgement.
this even counts for tcp layer stuff. This will also affect your audio
delay. For instance audio setup delay

with h.322 where you've got 150 msec delay between:
Two endpoints using fast connect = minimum of 600 msec
Two endoints using normal h.245 messaging = > 1.2 seconds

This is being generous and not accouting for the fact that messages
need to be relayed to other endpoints after they are received as H.323
(for instance, info in an h.323 OLCAck needs to be passed via SCCP to
a phone as a startmediaTransmission msg,  that could potentially take
another 150 msec, these times don't account for that =)

This same sort of thing would mean a call between two people in the
same office you're talking about would take a mimimum of >.6 seconds
to establish audio in ideal coditions, starting from the point where
the called party goes off hook.

-Peter