[cisco-voip] internal numbers ID masking

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 15:29:06 EDT 2008

Follow-up to this problem, in case anyone else runs into it.

TAC helped me come up with a work-around. while it doesn't completely fix
the issue it at least solves the specific users' problems that we were
having.

Phone A - Secretary, published number
Phone B - Executive, unpublished number, caller ID masked for on and offnet
calls

Specific problem.. callers desiring to speak with the executive would call
the published number (Phone A). If appropriate, secretary would transfer the
caller to the executives line on Phone B. If the caller is on an IP Phone,
once the call is connected, the caller can see the executives dn as the
"connected line ID" on their IP Phone screen. Any attempts to restrict
connected line ID with a translation pattern resulted in voicemail not
working correctly (the "forwarding number" gets cleared for a call if it
passes through a translation pattern that restricts the connected line ID).

Workaround for us was:
Apply a translation pattern to the secretary's CSS such that if he/she calls
or transfers to the executive's line, it restricts BOTH the connected line
ID and the connected name presentation. For some reason, this only works if
both of those settings are restricted. Then, create a voicemail profile
specifically for the executive's directory number that specifices the line
number as the number mask, and apply it to the executive's line. This isn't
very scalable and only works if you have some control over who will be
transfering to the executive. But it seems to work out for us at least.

If the executive calls out somewhere and gets transfered to another IP
phone, the connected line ID will still be displayed. Fixing this situation
would seem to require an individual voicemail profile for every unique DN on
the phone system. Yuck.

According to the developers via TAC, the connected line id restriction
settings are working as intended, and if we want it to function with Unity
we'll have to put in a feature request through our account team. Still seems
like a flaw to me, but i'm going to at least let my account folks know about
the problem and see what our chances are for getting the "feature" added
some day. I need to review the feature requests out on CIPTUG's system also
to see if there is a request like this already in place so I can throw some
more votes at it.

Ed