[cisco-voip] Multicast issue

Jonathan Charles jonvoip at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 22:57:06 EDT 2008

Multicast is directional only to the extend that it does a reverse path
check (so it doesn't stream back to the source)... other than that it will
flood based on the setting of PIM (either dense or sparse, or both... IOW,
either flood to everywhere and wait for endpoints to unsubscribe, or wait
for requests to subscribe before flooding, respectively).

As far as routing back, you can do a show ip mroute and see the multicast
routing table. As long as PIM is enabled on all layer-3 interfaces and your
stream does not expire its TTL, it should get there.

If you have a  static RP, then you can point back to it from each node so
each knows how to get to the multicast source, but you prob want the RP
moved to a more central location so mcast does not have to route back
through your central site...

Jonathan