[cisco-voip] Oracle Buys Sun

Paul asobihoudai at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 20 12:33:27 EDT 2009

My goodness! What changes will this bring to the computing world.

Oracle depends on Java for a LOT of things. I'm hoping they don't try to change the license from GPLv2 to something else. Oracle has shown promising moves with its support and development of the Linux kernel. It's also using Xen for its virtualization. Sun owns VirtualBox with xVM Server. While Oracle, like Cisco, has been moving strongly into the direction of using Linux for everything under its sun (no pun intended), after purchasing Sun with Solaris, will they start to encourage everyone to move to Solaris so they can pull in dedicated support revenue?

Oracle will also own the big daddy of all filesystems (ZFS) and one of the most innovative system diagnostic tools, DTrace. I'm hoping Oracle will continue to strongly support free software development as it is ultimately only to their benefit.

Paul