[cisco-voip] CCIE Security Vs Voice

Mark Holloway mh at markholloway.com
Tue Feb 3 01:35:59 EST 2009

1. Does Service Providers use Cisco device and so do they need CCIE Voice?

Most of the services providers that use Cisco in their voice network (mine
included) use either PGW, BTS, and/or AS5x00 on the core and ISR's for CPE.
Cisco doesn't have a CCIE Service Provider Voice (boo!).  I'm studying for
the CCIE Voice but quite honestly I'm not really enjoying the application
side of things all that much.  I enjoy Broadworks much more than UCM
although it is a much tougher platform to get your head around.  I guess I
like the challenge.

2. Does Enterprises have such a big voice setup that they hire CCIE Voice
and pay good?

I honestly do not know.  To really flex your muscles, work for a vendor or a
service provider.  I think that is true for R&S too, but obviously there are
good Enterprise jobs in R&S.

3. If a guy with computer sciences background and having ccie r&s and voice
can compete with people having telecom and voice background.

YES!  This is why I'm working towards the CCIE Voice.  Although I primarily
work with SIP (Acme Packet, Broadworks, Genband, Lucent), there are some
elements from the CCIE Voice that are applicable to the service provider.
Many service providers still use MGCP and H.323 in addition to the emergence
of SIP. The CCIE Voice gets you in the right mindset and makes you think in
ways that only a VoIP guy knows how to think.  I'm not saying it's the only
way, but it doesn't hurt to have the CCIE Voice and you will be greatly
rewarded for it. At the end of the day you need to be an incredible problem
solver when it comes to VoIP and I believe that Service Providers offer the
biggest challenges for VoIP Engineers.  Hang on to those R&S skills because
in the Service Provider environment they will come in really handy - even if
you're not the core routing/switching guy.

Regards,

Mark