[cisco-voip] Conversion from Centrex to VoIP

Jason Roysdon cisco-voip.20081105 at jason.roysdon.net
Tue Feb 3 19:18:24 EST 2009

I have another solution that makes switching over rather nice as well:

When you BAT in the phones, set the CFwdAll to dialing their Centrex
number, using whatever method works (probably using your outside dialing
digit + Centrex extension).

Then, any Cisco phone calling that phone, even if the Cisco phone is
sitting on the desk and otherwise working, will automatically forward to
the Centrex number.

You can then cut phones over on a per-phone basis very easily from the
Cisco side.  You just remove the CFwdAll and now the Cisco phone works
as expected from the Cisco side.  This can be done at the desk itself as
you deploy phones, or en mass with BAT.

Of course, you still have to do your Centrex porting/moving.  I've
another trick for that w/o having a "flag day" where everything has to
move at once:

If you have new DIDs or can get temp DIDs, you can forward from the
Centrex phones to the temp DIDs pointing to the Cisco phones and then
unplug Centrex phones (of course, you need to un-CFwdAll the Cisco
phone, or you'll have a loop back to the Centrex phone which will loop,
etc.).  When you're all cutover, you'll have the typical porting of
Centrex numbers and can then discontinue using the temp DIDs.  So long
as the telco doesn't mess this up (count on it that they will), your
users won't even know.

While this seems complex, I've used it at a number of customers who
couldn't just move entire DID blocks as they were given to different
departments or had other requirements of slowly moving things over.  It
works for non-Centrex moves off of PBXs as well (using a voice gateway
in between the old PBX and the PSTN).

Jason Roysdon
http://Roysdon.net/