[cisco-voip] Switch replacement causes one-way audio?

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Thu Feb 12 11:05:37 EST 2009

Heuristically you can look for problems on the switch.  You may be able
to check counters on the switch to find next step.  common failures are
in arp related activity.  phone may be of some use as well.  in an
active call press the i or ? button twice to see call statistics. this
shows packets Tx and Rx.  If packets are not transmitting, you need to
look at SCCP or SIP signaling with CUCM.  If packets are not receiving
you likely have a network problem between the endpoints, refer to ARP
comment above.  The CUCM CDR database or CAR tool can be helpful.  look
for lost, dropped, or out of order packets.   or look for low packet
counts.  another approach is:
http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-voip/2008-July/035519.html

the same calculation can be used based on SCCP messages
OpenReceiveChannelAck, StartMediaTransmission, and ConnectionStatisticsRes

Algorithmically you can get a packet capture of the problem.  That will
show exactly what failed and point to proper next step.

/Wes