[cisco-voip] Unity 4.x to 7.x with failover upgrade

Pat Hayes pat-cv at wcyv.com
Fri Jan 2 13:24:39 EST 2009

If I follow correctly, you're asking if, after rebuilding your primary
server to 7.x and doing a DiRT restore on it, if you should/can:

1. Run the 7.x upgrade on the failover server, then re-run failover
config to tie the cluster back together

or

2. Rebuild the failover to clean 7.x, and then run failover config to
create the cluster

I think option 1 is risky. You have to assume that an upgrade of a
secondary server will work with SQL replication down and the cluster
in a funky state (both servers know they are in a cluster, but one has
been rebuilt, SQL replication is down, different versions, etc). You
could test it, and it might work, but I wouldn't count on getting TAC
support for that upgrade plan.

Option 2 seems a lot safer.You are basically running through the
procedure to replace/restore a Unity cluster. There is a section on
this in the Reconfiguration and Upgrade guide. It is a tested process
and, if you follow the doc and things still go south, TAC will be able
to help you out.