[cisco-voip] IOS VG Link redundancy

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Mon Jan 26 19:27:38 EST 2009

We currently have 4 VG224s and 1 3845 connected to multiple switches by using the two ethernet ports. We have loopback addresses for both voice and management (we don't do data on the ISR) vlans. Then we use EIGRP to advertise the loopback address to the network. Weighting prefers one route over the other. We got failover time down to the sub 5 seconds. The minimum EIGRP timer I think is 3 seconds.

You could probably get a faster failover time if you were linking these devices directly to a layer 3 switch, but we are actually going through an access layer switch up to our collapsed core switch.

We also decided on point-to-point networks for each interface on each device. Not sure if that's the long term approach though. I'll have to work that out with our networking team. For example, we might be replacing our PBX with a stack of VG224s which could reach anywhere between 10 or 20 deep. Do they want to manage that many P2P networks? The alternative is having two networks (one for side A, one for side B) - but this means many EIGRP neighbours and the possibility of routing traffic to one VG224 through another. I'm sure configs could fix this, but it's what's simpler and quicker.

---
Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (JNHN)
"Bad grammar makes me [sic]" - Tshirt