[cisco-voip] 7940 Power Save Mode

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Tue Mar 23 16:47:59 EDT 2010

We attached a Kill-A-Watt to the switch powering phones in an engineers
cube.  When the EEM script triggers switch power consumption drops by
~100W.  x 15 engineers in our area that is turning off 15x100w bulbs for
12 hours at a time.  The major impediment with that approach is the
phones are hard down and do not respond to user input.

A solution that that provides similar level of power consumption while
enabling user intervention would be best of both worlds.  Save power,
save on cooling, save backlights, extremely nominal user impact = win.

/Wes