[cisco-voip] Problems with speed-dials in Assistant Console (IPMA)

Robert Hass robhass at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 06:00:49 EST 2011

Hi

We occurring two problems with Speed Dials in Assistant Console client
for IPMA service. CUCM version is the latest one 8.6(2a) and IPMA
client was downloaded from CUCM plugins section.

Problem 1 - "Lost of speed dials due to use unconvertible UTF-8
character (outside range [a-zA-Z0-9])":

Assistant adds Speed Dial contains "local" (eg. Polish / German)
character eg. "ó". Then quits the application. Application is
successfully sending new Speed Dials configuration to CUCM (confirmed
by sniffing the traffic).  Application is started again - it downloads
Speed Dials configuration successfully from CUCM (again confirmed by
sniffing the traffic) but unable parse it. Effect is totally disaster
- all Speed Dials are lost (not single one with bad character). We did
investigation - turned on debug trace in Assistant Console client +
sniffing the traffic comes between client and CUCM. And problem is in
Assistant Console client which don't accept it's own saved data. Error
from trace file:

10731: Sat Dec 17 19:07:50 GMT 2011 % ERROR!! Failed to parse user
settings for: testassitant: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Character
conversion error: "Unconvertible UTF-8 character beginning with 0xb9"
(line number may be too low).

Maybe some encoding change could help ? Users was informed that they
should not use local characters but sometimes they're using it by
mistake.

Problem 2 - "Wrong number if speed dial number begins with 0"

If we add Speed Dial with number starting with 0 (eg. 0221234567) then
after application restart (exit and start) number is modified to
totally different one. Eg. number 0221234567 turns into 38091127.
Again we did investigation (sniffing the traffic) and problem is in
Assistant Console client as it sent bad number to CUCM during
application exit.

Anyone encounters  this problem ?

Thanks