[f-nsp] Recommended software release for bigiron/jetcore and Netiron MLX - software feature comparison matrix available?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sun Dec 10 18:27:27 EST 2006

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 03:56:09PM +0100, Gunther Stammwitz wrote:
> Hello colleagues,
>
> As some of you might know there are three actively maintained software
> releases for the bigiron(jetcore)-platform:
> The 7.8-tree (latest is: 7.8.02b) and the 8.0-tree (latest is: 8.0.01f) as
> well as the combined software for netiron and bigiron jetcore-architectures
> "IronWare Service Provider Software" (latest is: 9.3.00a).
>
> Is there some sort of feature comparison matrix available? Which software
> are you running on your devices and why?
> I don't really get what the difference between a patched 7.8 and a 8.0
> release is?

There isn't. The 9.x branch is an offshoot of the 7.6 branch, and is
essentially the bastard stepchild of ironware. For some reason I can't
even begin to explain, it seems to go through cycles of being supported
then abandoned by Foundry developers (similar to some of the products they
swear by then disown the next mont :P).

It is relatively stable, I've had ironcore boxes doing full L3, BGP, and
routing many gigabit of traffic with almost 800 day uptimes on the 9.x
branch if you find the right letter in the alphabet soup of bug fixes (and
let me give you a hint, "a" is NEVER the right letter). Even though the
version number is lower 7.7 7.8 and 8.0 are under more active development
and have more features.

> The same thing applies to the Netiron MLX-platform: there are the trees 3.1
> (latest 3.1n) and 3.2 (latest is 3.2.00k). What is the real difference
> between them?

This one follows standard behaviors, 3.1->3.2 adds new features which are
documented in release notes, and the letters add bug fixes to each branch.

> I would expect that there are some significant new features in a new tree
> like there is the q-in-q-vlan-support starting in the Ironware9.3-tree.
> Cisco is documenting this very well for their IOS-software and there are
> feature comparison matrixes available. I couldn't find such a thing for
> foundry. Where can I get it?

I don't know that I've ever heard Cisco's feature comparison between IOS
trains described as "documented very well" before, but yes they do manage
to at least attempt to document something. :) Regarding q-in-q
specifically, you're relatively screwed in all versions of classic
ironware. Foundry's q-in-q implementation boggles the mind, and only bears
a passing resembelence to usable in modern 3.x code on modern hardware.