[j-nsp] Roubustness question regaring OSPF and VRRP

Andrey A. Ryazanov sg at di-net.ru
Sun Jun 12 07:40:46 EDT 2005

Hi there.

There're no performance problems. VRRP is just simple protocol to make a number of
gateways to decide which one exactly will forward all the traffic directed to a virtual
MAC address of the VRRP group.

However it is a better choice to split routing capable and routing incapable nodes into
different VLANs, or choose another routing protocol (eg. RIPv2) which is supported by
both of your node types.

And don't you forget to update your lo0.0 filter to be sure it passes VRRP messages.
Otherwise all of your gateways will be thinking they are the only on the net.

Andrey Ryazanov
Digital Network JSC
+7 095 723 8332 ext. 203