[j-nsp] Very disappointed with Juniper

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Tue Apr 18 05:08:28 EDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 09:46:35AM +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:

Hello all,

> > control plane.  Heck, an RE can go deadlock and the FEBs will keep routing
> > packets.  You lose all your control plane though in a situation like that.
>
>  And this is one of my major griefs in Juniper, when control-plane
> fails, it keeps on either blackholing or forwarding traffic to
> wrong (unupdated) destinations. Effectively even if I engineer
> network to survive failure, I can't route around the problem
> always. Think of GSR running out of memory in LC without 'external overload
> signalling' configured. Very undesired for me. Much harder to troubleshoot
> box that is 'sort of working', but you never know which prefix is going
> where, and why.

The forwarding-engine will continue to forward packets for 300 seconds when
it loses connectivity with the routing-engine. This will give adjacent
routers the opportunity to have their routing-protocols "time-out" on
the affected node.

A forwarding-engine which has lost connectivity to the routing-engine
will not forward packets for ever.

Thanks,

--
Sabri