[j-nsp] J-Series RAM

Peter E. Fry pfry-lists at redsword.com
Mon Aug 6 23:27:30 EDT 2007

On 6 Aug 2007 at 17:53, Matt Stevens wrote:
[...]
>  From reading the archives it looks like the 4350's use pretty standard
> DRAM. But I can't find any mention of the exact type needed - either
> in the archives or on the wiki.

  It's PC3200, i.e. DDR1, 200Mhz, CAS3, unbuffered 184-pin DIMM.  The
chipset (in the J6350, at least) is the Intel E7221, essentially a
925X MCH.  Juniper uses non-ECC, but I prefer to use ECC -- the
chipset supports it, and the BIOS appears to.  The unit will accept
(i.e. boot with) up to 4GB, but the spec is 2GB max.
  Naturally, I'd recommend having a look at what's actually installed
in your unit prior to buying new.
  Hmm.  Wiki?  [http://juniper.cluepon.net/index.php/J4350]?  There's
a nice photo -- take a closer look (although the labels aren't...
quite... readable).

> I'm imagining third-party RAM is much cheaper than Junipers. Can
> anyone shed some light on the specifics. Also, how does third-party
> RAM affect service contracts - is there an "approved" third party
> list?

  Just... a tad cheaper, yes.  Juniper uses Micron RAM (in all of the
units I've seen), so you can hardly go wrong with Crucial.  I can't
comment on the support aspect -- heck, call 'em and ask.

Peter E. Fry