[j-nsp] How to load a lot of prefixes

Keegan.Holley at sungard.com Keegan.Holley at sungard.com
Wed Feb 20 13:18:43 EST 2008

They were actually three different groups of a few thousand routes each. I
had routers peered with different ISP AS numbers so that the origins would
be realistic.  Even then the whole screen goes blank for about 30 seconds
or so, but it makes it to the end eventually...  Besides this is just
temporary until I complete that beginners course on sed.

Leigh Porter <leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com>
02/20/08 12:58 PM

Keegan.Holley at sungard.com
cc
wang dong bei <wang.dong.bei at gmail.com>,
juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net, juniper-nsp
<juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net>
Subject
Re: [j-nsp] How to load a lot of prefixes

Notepad can handle 25000 lines?

;-0

--
Leigh

Keegan.Holley at sungard.com wrote:
> There are several products that can generate routes for testing
depending
> on your budget.  IXIA devices for example will do this and more.  I
wanted
> to the same thing a few months ago and I ended ip logging into a few
route
> servers and outputting a sh route/sh ip route to a text file.  Then I
just
> used notepad to add the commands to configure the routes as static
routes
> and pasted the result into the router.  This is no way to get the full
> table, but I got about 25,000 routes (until I got bored).  If you really

> want it to look like the real table you can add the routes to different
> routers and advertise them from actual ISP AS numbers and/or modify the
AS
> path using with random policies.  I did this with cisco boxes so YMMV.
>
> Keegan
>

> "wang dong bei" <wang.dong.bei at gmail.com>
> Sent by: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
> 02/20/08 12:05 PM

> juniper-nsp <juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net>
> cc
>
> Subject
> [j-nsp] How to load a lot of prefixes
>

> Hi talented minds,
>
> I want to do some testing with BGP and I need to inject a lots of
routes,
> preferably the entire Internet routing table, into some of the routers
of
> an
> isolated lab. My initial approach is to capture the "show route bgp"
> output
> from one of my routers and massage the data into the "set
routing-options
> static prefix....." and load everything into my testing routers.
However,