[j-nsp] DCU matching in firewall on MX

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Oct 30 14:05:28 EDT 2008

Does anyone know if DCU matching in a firewall filter is supposed to be
working on MX, and if not, if is it possible to support in the future
(and when)?

The explanation I had previously heard about the reason this wasn't
supportable on T-series/M320 was that with the change to a distributed
forwarding architecture and you would now need a mechanism to pass the
SCU/DCU classification across the fabric, and the LMNR chips weren't
capable of doing this. I had also heard that the I-chip resolved this
issue by increasing the available space in the notification cell so this
information could be passed. The SCU/DCU documentation says nothing
about the MX one way or the other, but I've tried configuring it and
even on 9.2 it definitely does not work.

I noticed that on recent code the documentation has added M120 to the
"does not work" list, which would imply that if this really is an I-chip
issue that it won't work on the MX either. If this is the case, can
anyone confirm or deny the supposition that it is now possible to
support this on I-chip platforms, and it just hasn't been written into
the pfe code yet?

From http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos92/swconfig-network-interfaces/enabling-source-class-and-destination-class-usage.html