[j-nsp] SNMP interface index change after upgrade to 9.2

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Feb 13 07:43:41 EST 2009

Once upon a time, Malte von dem Hagen <mvh at hosteurope.de> said:
> Am 13.02.2009 13:15 Uhr, Chris Adams schrieb:
> > Um, how about using modern software that doesn't assume static
> > interface
> > IDs?  Interface IDs are never guaranteed to be static, so proper
> > SNMP
> > software should handle them changing.
>
> what, if not ifIndex, should be a reasonable index for Interfaces?
> Neither ifName nor interface descriptions possibly stored in vendor
> specific MIBs are suitable values for constant reference.

Why do you consider ifDescr or ifName to be unsuitable?  How do you
configure your routers/switches, if not with interface names?

> It is the ifIndex by design. Its main purpose IS referencing
> interfaces,
> and a simple update of the OS must not change them. I consider this as
> broken, like Tore does.

The purpose if ifIndex is to index the ifEntry list, nothing more.  It
is only specified to be constant as long as the system is not rebooted.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>