[j-nsp] Rate Shaping on a J2350

TiM tim at muppetz.com
Thu Oct 21 18:07:21 EDT 2010

Quick question about policing.

Basically I'd like to know if this config will work.  I'm pretty sure it
will and the Juniper docs seems to agree with me, but the collective
wisdom of JNSP would be appreciated.

Router in question is a Juniper J2350.

Basically I want to say:

192.168.0.0/24 is in total allowed 50Mb/s of bandwidth.  This is the
global limit that shouldn't be exceeded, regardless of what individual
customers are doing.

Then, under that, individiual customers (allocated a /30) are given a
"maximum" limit.  That is, they can move traffic up to the rate they've
purchased, assuming the /24 still has capacity.

This is the config I have.  The key bit of my question involves the use of
the "term next" statement:

term Global-Shape{
    from {
        destination-address {
            192.168.0.0/24;
        }
    }
    then {
        policer rl-50;
        next term;  <<-----  Valid? Will this work as intended?
    }
}
term Customer1 {
    from {
        destination-address {
            192.168.0.0/30;
        }
    }
    then {
        policer rl-10; <<---- This customer gets 10Mb/s total.
        count Customer1;
    }
}
term Customer2 {
    from {
        destination-address {
            192.168.0.4/30;
        }
    }
    then {
        policer rl-20; <<---- This customer gets 20Mb/s total.
        count Customer2;
    }
}

Assume there's another 20 customers all configured the same.

Basically: If the sum of the /30's policers is say, 150Mb/s will the above
config limit the /24 to 50Mb/s?

Thanks for any pointers you can provide.

Kind Regards,

Tim H