[j-nsp] Junos route based vpn with Cisco

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Wed Oct 27 22:47:45 EDT 2010

2010/10/27 Tom Devries <Tom.Devries at rci.rogers.com>

> Indeed, the only issue I see with policy based vpn's is the number of vpn
> policies required for the amount of networks that have to be encrypted.  As
> someone pointed out on another list, the C device should support null proxy
> ids if you first deny all other networks and then specify "any any" as
> interesting.

Policy based VPN is a really clumsy way when it comes to reservation. E. g.
you need two tunnels and a mechanism to switch them in case of a failure.
ScreenOS has vpn grups for this case, hope JUNOS Voyajer also does, but
AFAIR it does not support more than two tunnels in a group and not really
flexible overall.

Route based way is by far more flexible and scalable. Nathan gave the right
clue: Cisco also can do route based either with VTI or using GRE over IPSec.

BTW that proxy-id is a really silly thing. Why should I know in advance and
configure statically which traffic I am going to transmit across a link?
Just imagine the cauchemar if we needed to configure a filter/acl matching
IPs and ports for all links everywhere! Fortunately it's just a filed that
must match, nothing else. You can set it to whatever, and when the tuneel is
established, you can transmit anything. So the netscreen/juniper's
route-based way of configuring statically whatever you want is the best. If
only they allowed several subnets to interop with the too clever vendors :)

P. S.
The most fantastic way of proxy-id assigning is how MS ISA does it. It
allows to set IP ranges (like 192.168.1.7-99) instead of subnets in a
policy/acl/however Microsoft calls it, than it automatically splits the
range into subnets, fills the rest with /32s and sends all that gibberish as
a proxy-id.