[nsp] Questions:

From: Jeronimo Diez de Sollano Velazco Aceves (jdiez@bestel.com.mx)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 15:33:41 EDT

I have an ATM link between two routers connected bact to back with a PVC.
The link utilization is below 40 % but i get intermitent discards in the
show interface output. If i send a ping no packet seems to be lost, but i
still concerned about those drops. I´m trying to look if is because some
internal process of the ATM interfaces. This because if i change the
interfaces to Serials in the same cable and same routers i don´t get any
drops.

Other concern i have is about the buffers, i´m getting 85 failures in middle
buffers, i tryed the cisco Output interpreter and it says a lot of thingas
about large buffers and things, but nothing about those 85 failures that i
get in the show buffers output. My router has a lot of free memory and the
max buffers allowed is 1600 vs the 689 free of 750.
does anybody has a document about real buffer tunning. All that i can get
from the cisco page is a simple document that says that to change the buffer
settings you need to be an expert, but no documentation to become an expert.

Any Ideas or documentation is appreciated.
Thanks everyone!!!

Jeronimo