Re: [nsp] Interface counter mismatch

From: c.spurgeon@mail.utexas.edu
Date: Thu Sep 09 1999 - 09:44:55 EDT

>If you have a serial link between 2 routers, do you aware that the counters
>are not match? For example, 5min output rate of your upstream is not equal
>to the 5min input rate of your downstream, Sometimes there is a big
>difference!!!
>
>The router desscriptions are:
>
>-7500 series
>-VIP2-40
>-11.1(22)CC
>-fast switching, optimum switching and distributed switching are enabled.
>-CSA
>-WFQ enabled
>
>Appreciated if you could let me know your experience and comments.

We've seen this recently on a p2p atm link using subints on 7513s with
vip2/40 and 11.1(24)CC. CEF and dist switching were enabled, but no
fancy queuing.

Interface counters in/out in one direction were totally out of whack,
with the input side on one end only showing about 50% of what you'd
expect given the output side on the other end. No high rates of input
queue drops and no ignore packets. The link was working fine with 0%
ping loss.

Mrtg graphs showed the same thing on traffic. A search of the bug
database and queries to local Cisco SEs didn't turn up anything.

Since rebooting the router with the bogus input side counters on
11.1(28)CC we haven't seen the problem again.

-Charles

Charles E. Spurgeon
ACITS/Networking Services
c.spurgeon@mail.utexas.edu