Re: [nsp] RSP/VIP performance question

From: Ron Buchalski (rbuchals@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 1999 - 10:40:10 EDT

>From: Simon Lockhart <simonl@rd.bbc.co.uk>
>To: cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net
>Subject: [nsp] RSP/VIP performance question
>Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 19:03:12 +0100
>
>Hi,
>
>I'm just trying to spec up a couple of routers, and given the lack of
>information about proposed gigabit ethernet ports for the 720xVXR routers
>(we don't need full speed, just more than 100Mbit!), it looks like we're
>going to have to go with 7500's.

What about Fast Etherchannel?

>What I can't get my head around is the difference in performance between
>the RSP2 and RSP4, and again between the VIP2-40 and the VIP2-50.
>
>I understand that for some PA- cards, you need a particular VIP2, and I've
>read the specs for all the cards, but nothing seems to give performance
>details for these cards.
>
>Can anyone help?

VIP2-40 can switch up to 65kpps (internet average packet size of 280 bytes),
and has a total throughput of between 300 and 360 Mbps. I prefer to use it
conservatively, and engineer for 300Mbps. Any bursts above that are brief
and can be accommodated. Don't engineer for full-time 360Mbps or you'll
have a busy pager!

The VIP2-40 can support up to 128MB of DRAM, and has a fixed SRAM (packet
memory) of 2MB.

VIP2-50 can switch up to 110kpps (internet average packet size of 280
bytes), and has a total throughput of between 350 and 400 Mbps.

The VIP2-50 can support up to 256MB of DRAM, and SRAM can range in size from
2MB (default) to 8MB, and is field upgradeable.

The throughput limit for both VIPs is due to the current PCI design which is
used to connect the PAs to the VIP. It's being addressed...

-rb