Re: [nsp] BGP routing questions

From: Dave Curado (davec@navinet.net)
Date: Fri Oct 01 1999 - 02:18:17 EDT

> > I have used local_pref to influence the path
> > selected for outbound traffic. It worked well.
>
> Local-pref is used often, but blows away as-path, so you'll make the
> wrong decision for people who use outbound as padding to deselect backup-
> transit paths, or t1s vs. t3s, or worse-quality providers vs. beter.

You have an excellent point.

The application of local-pref that I described doesn't fall
victim to this. All we're trying to do here is to prefer
one path over another, but not exclusively so.
Setting local-pref on *just* the paths *of* one provider
works fine.

route-map prefer-just-provider-B-routes 10
        match as-path 1
        set local-pref 110
route-map prefer-just-provider-B-routes 20
        match everything else

ip as-path access-list 1 permit ^(_AS-B)+$

how's that go? keep things as simple as possible, but
no simpler