[nsp] Load sharing on T-1s

From: Jim Warner (warner@cats.UCSC.EDU)
Date: Wed Oct 06 1999 - 21:02:03 EDT

The University's Astronomical Observatory is connected back
to the main campus by T-1 line(s) from Pacific Bell. Til now,
we've shared a single T-1 with our campus phone system on a
1 Mbit for data, 500K for the phones basis.

The data guys want (surprise) more BW. One option would be
to give a full T-1 to the data side by getting a second T-1.
That would leave about 1 Mbit/sec unused on the "telco" T-1.
Or we could leave the current setup more or less intact and
add a second T-1 for data. T-1s on this path cost us about
$400 per month.

Typical of scientific computing, the users probably want to
be able to use their full datacomm capabilities on a single
TCP connection. Schemes that select a path based on a hash
of IP addresses would probably be ineffective.

The end point routers are 2500s, but they could turn into
2600s if that was important. I'm inclined to think that MPP
(multilink PPP) might be a good solution. What I don't know is
how it would deal with a moderate imbalance in the speeds of the
links it was asked to merge -- 1 Mb/s +1.5 Mb/s. Does anyone
have any experience with that? Any other suggestions? VoIP and
sending the PBX to a dark place is not currently an option.

-jim warner, UC Santa Cruz