Re: [nsp] bit rate accuracy?

From: George Robbins (grr@shandakor.tharsis.com)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 17:27:00 EST

You have way too much faith in software.

MRTG isn't magic, if it's missing a sample point, it displays the last
value one. If sample intervals are missed or randomly scattered due
to MRTG box performance issues, it will wrap 32-bit counters and not
warn you about it.

The rate indicators are primarily for people, so you can see at a
quick glance what's going on, if you're concern about pushing a
limit, what you need to know isn't the average, but the peak and
cross-check with the number of drops...

                                                George