Re: [nsp] BGP as-path help

From: Eric J Merkel (merkel@defnet.com)
Date: Tue Oct 19 1999 - 13:36:40 EDT

At 12:42 PM 10/19/99 -0400, you wrote:
>On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Steve Austin wrote:
>
>> Most likely UUnet is filtering out the prepended as-path. You may want to
>> contact them and check to see if they are allowing you to do this.
>

>Could you explain the reasoning as to _why_ anyone would filter out a
>prepended as-path?

Just got off phone with UUNET. They do not filter any AS-path prepends or
anything for that matter. Got a senior looking at my config now.

>As for the original poster, how do you know your routes disappear? Are you
>using some sort of looking glass? What may be happening is that if you
>prepend enough times to UUNET, the path becomes unattractive, even
>internally, and all traffic starts to go over sprint. Since the UUNET
>path is no longer the best path for almost any router, and only the best
>path is propagated further, it may lead to a disappearance of the uunet
>path from looking glasses.
>
>/vijay

Well, the routes with AS701 in them completely vanish from all looking
glasses. I also did a traceroute from UUNET trace server and it PREFERRED
Sprint over itself(UUNET) and the traffic incoming dropped to 0 so I am
fairly certain that the route were completely gone.

Eric

Eric Merkel / MetaLink Technologies, Inc
Email: merkel@metalink.net
Phone: 419-782-3472 X304