Re: [nsp] MM/SM gbics/cables

From: Robert E. Seastrom (rs@seastrom.com)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 12:15:38 EST

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se> writes:

> On 16 Nov 2001, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
>

> > You're probably overdriving the receivers. Put in a 5 dB attenuator
> > on each direction (or on transmit on both ends) and see if that works.
> > At gige speeds, you should be able to go reasonable distances with LX
> > gbics on MM glass.
>
> The weird part is that I do not have this problem using SM glass. I only
> have to use attenuators when using extra long range (80km) GBICs.
>
> I will try an attenuator as well, good idea, thanks for the advice.

The cross-sectional size of singlemode glass lets less light through
to begin with, unless it's really sharply columnnated. Try it with a
flashlight and a strand of MM and a strand of SM. My guess is that
garden-variety LX gbics aren't made with extreme precision, and that
as a result you're getting more light through the MM than through the SM.

                                        ---Rob